Psychologist Dr Mimi Goess-Saurau suggests acts of self care to include in your life.
Stress costs the UK roughly £6.5 billion a year. Last year there were 10.4 million days lost to stress, with the cost of a sick day being £618, meaning workplace stress totalled £6,427,200,000. That is an astounding number.
Reducing levels of stress is an issue that should be taken seriously seriously. As a psychologist, in every professional interview I have had I have always been asked what I do to take care of myself.
Instead of writing a huge blog post on what self care is I have written a list of small acts of self care for you to try.
- Taking a long bath.
- Going to see an exhibition.
- Doing a guided meditation.
- Turning the music up and DANCING IT OFF!
- Writing a list of 3-5 things you are grateful for at the end of the day for a whole week and see how changes perspective.
- Taking a yoga class.
- Paying complete attention to something you usually do on autopilot.
- Unplugging for an hour-no phones, no laptop, no TV.
- Using your commute for a “Beauty Scavenger Hunt.” Find five unexpected beautiful things on your way to work.
- Getting positive feedback. Ask three good friends to tell you what they love about you.