The way we live our lives has a direct impact on our overall health and skin. This includes things like our happiness, levels of stress, quality of sleep and exercise. Making changes to these areas of your life can have a direct impact on the health and appearance of your skin.
Below are three aspects of our daily lives which we believe can improve the health of our skin.
Research has shown that stress is a major aging factor for our skin and body as a whole. Many of us now live in a constant state of stress which is having a hugely adverse effect on our skin and health.
Studies have shown that a constant state of increased stress can lead to:
- Reduced water retention
- Increased oil production
- Reduced blood flow to the skin
- Dry skin Increase in blood sugar
To reduce your stress levels introduce the following into your days:
- 3 - 5 times a day stop and take 10 deep breaths. Doing this has positive effects including making your heart rate and breathing to slow down and make your blood pressure decrease.
- Find 10 minutes a day to meditate. Doing this has several benefits including reducing anxiety and stress, and improving sleep. If you haven't meditated before we can highly recommend using the HeadSpace app.
Get Your Beauty Sleep
As well as needing sleep to function, it also has a considerable effect on the health of our skin. People need between 7-9 hours of sleep a night depending on several factors, when they don’t get this it can lead to:
- Decrease in Collagen production
- Loss of the skin’s glow
- Disrupts skin barrier function
- Accentuated dark circles
- Reduction in body’s immune system
If you need to improve your sleep or get more of it try the following:
- Rather than drastically change your routine, try going to bed just 30 minutes earlier, even this small amount will make a big difference.
- If you have difficulty going to sleep
Exercise Your Way to Stronger Skin
Exercising is good for our overall health and wellbeing. For the skin it’s benefits are known to include:
- Increases the skin's hydration
- Increases blood flow to the skin
- Increased oxygen delivered to the skin
- More ‘waste products’ carried away from the skin
- Sweat removes trapped dirt, dead skin cells and excess oil within our skin
- Reduces the signs of cellulite
If you feel you need to incorporate exercise into your life why not try the Lean in 15 exercise plan. The workouts are done in 15 minutes and can be done in the comfort of your own home!