What is a Cream Cleanser?
Clean skin is happy skin and clean, happy skin comes from using the best cream cleanser for your skin.
Our Rebalance & Reset Slate Cream Cleanser quickly and easily removes dirt, grime and makeup in one sweep, leaving your skin glowingly clean! Gentle but effective, its unique botanical ingredients means it’s suitable for all skin types. Especially those with sensitive, acne prone or completely contrary skin.
But enough about us for a while, let’s look at facial cleansers, in particular cream cleansers, in more detail…
In this Article
What is a Facial Cleanser
Are Facial Cleansers Good for the Skin
What is a Water Based Cleanser
What is a Cream Cleanser
How Do Cream Cleanser Work
How Do Cream Cleansers Help Different Skin Types
The Sönd Cream Cleanser - Ingredients
Choosing the Right Cream Cleanser
What is a Facial Cleanser?
A facial cleanser is a skincare product that’s designed to be used on the face to remove makeup as well as dirt and day to day grime, sweat, bacteria, dead skin cells and environmental pollutants.
They’re available as cream cleansers such as ours, that can be wiped away in one sweep. Or they’re available as foaming cleansers designed to be rinsed off, or as oil based cleansers ideally used as part of a double cleanse.
Are Facial Cleansers Good for the Skin?
Yes! Using a facial cleanser twice a day means that you’re removing dirt, grime, pollution, excess oil, sweat and makeup from your skin.
If these elements are left on the skin, they can cause blockages within the pores that can lead to spots, acne breakouts, excess oil production and stressed out skin. Cleansing them away helps to keep your skin clean, healthy and glowing.
What is a Water Based Cleanser?
A water based cleanser is a cleanser that contains water (or aqua) as a main ingredient.
They’re usually found as a foam or a gel and they help to remove water based dirt and grime such as sweat, toxins and environmental pollutants from the skin. They'll generally need to be rinsed away from the skin or removed using a wet face cloth.
What is a Cream Cleanser?
A cream cleanser usually contains oils and is used to remove oil based dirt, grime and makeup from the skin.
Using a cream cleanser that’s based on plant derived oils such as shea and cocoa butter like our Rebalance & Reset Cream Cleanser helps to hydrate the skin. Cream cleansers don’t strip the skin of its natural oils like some water based cleansers and facial washes can. They’re ideal for skin that’s stressed out, dehydrated or non conformist.
How Do Cream Cleanser Work?
With shea and cocoa butters our cream cleanser works by effortlessly melting away dirt, makeup, oils, sweat and pollution, soothing and nourishing as it cleanses.
We’ve added zero harsh ingredients so it won’t strip the skin’s natural barriers. Plus our carefully selected natural botanical extracts help to soothe stressed out skin.
How Do Cream Cleansers Help Different Skin Types?
A cream cleanser is the best option if you have sensitive, irritated or contrary skin. But a nourishing cream cleanser can be effective for all skin types, especially if it's been made using natural, calming, skin nourishing ingredients.
Here’s more detail on using a hydrating cream cleanser such of ours on each skin type:
- Dry skin means skin that feels parched and dehydrated and can become itchy, scaly or even cracked. Using a soap and water based cleansing regime can make matters worse. Our cream cleanser for dry skin tackles the root causes of dry skin, helping to promote moisture retention and relieve dryness.
- Oily skin needs a cleanser that removes dirt, makeup and oil from the skin, but does so without stripping away too much of the skin's natural oils. Removing too much oil will cause the skin to overcompensate and produce more. Our calming cream cleanser, with its gentle shea and cocoa butters and botanicals is ideal for striking this balance for oily skin.
- If you think you’ve tried everything for your acne prone skin, think again! Our nourishing cream cleanser confronts the causes of acne deep within the layers of the skin, helping to reduce breakouts, oiliness and redness. Over time, your skin will become healthier and clearer, helping you to say goodbye to the emotional baggage of acne.
- Combination skin that can’t decide what it wants to be is difficult to manage. Do you use two different cleansers, or one for dry, normal or oily skin and hope for the best? Fret no more, we’ve made it easy for you with our calming cream cleanser! Suitable for all skin types, it nourishes, soothes and hydrates where needed, taking the daily stress out of cleansing.
- If your skin reacts badly to an endless list of ingredients and becomes red, irritated or stressed out on a whim, you’ll know the frustration of sensitive skin. Your skin needs a cleanser that cares for and supports your sensitivities and our hydrating cream cleanser does just that. Natural and packed with botanicals, your skin will never need to worry again.
- Redness, irritation, itching and general contrianess. Sound familiar? If you have sensitive skin then you’ll know that the skin care products you use will determine whether or not you’re having a good skin day. Try our nourishing cream cleanser with plant botanicals, and every day will be a good skin day!
- The redness, irritation and inflammation of rosacea can be uncomfortable and upsetting. Whatever the cause of your flare ups, you need skin care products that are effective yet gentle. Our calming cream cleanser contains nourishing and soothing plant oils and botanicals. It helps to calm redness and supports the unique needs of your skin.
- The inflamed, itchy, dry and sometimes weepy and blistered skin caused by eczema is irritating and uncomfortable. Your skin needs to be cared for gently and our calming cream cleanser is the ideal first step in your skin care regime. With no irritants or harsh ingredients, it contains botanical extracts to support and nourish the unique needs of your skin.
The Sönd Rebalance and Reset Cleanser, as you may have noticed by now, has been developed with all skin in mind. Because all skin deserves to be treated with respect!
The Sönd Cream Cleanser - Ingredients
Below is a list of ingredients we use, what the ingredient source is and why it is used.
- Another name for purified water, aqua is used as a solvent, to dissolve all of the ingredients in our Rebalance & Reset Cream Cleanser and help them all mix together to form its creamy consistency.
- Also known as sunflower seed oil, helianthus annuus seed oil acts as an emulsifier to help the water based and oil based ingredients mix together without separating. It has a high omega 6 fatty acid content which helps to soothe, calm and moisturise irritated or dry skin.
- More commonly known as shea butter, butyrospermum parkii butter is a plant based moisturising ingredient that’s rich in fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants. It acts as an emollient, helping to keep the skin soft and smooth by mimicking the natural lipid (fat) content of the skin.
- Theobroma cacao seed butter, or simply cocoa butter, is a by-product of the chocolate industry. Rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, it makes an excellent natural skin moisturiser, and like shea butter, acts as an emollient, helping to promote soft, smooth skin.
- A type of ‘fatty alcohol’, cetearyl alcohol is used as both a thickening agent to help create the luxurious feel of our cream cleanser, and as an emulsifier that helps the water based and oil based ingredients mix together without separating.
- Glyceryl stearate is a wax-like solid oil based ingredient that’s used in our cream cleanser as a skin lubricant. It helps to prevent water loss from the skin by forming a light but protective barrier helping to keep the skin hydrated. Like cetearyl alcohol, it’s also used as an emulsifier.
- The plant (not animal) derived glycerin in our cream cleanser is used for its skin hydrating properties. A thick, gloopy, odourless and colourless liquid, glycerin is a type of humectant - that is, it draws moisture from the air towards the skin, locking it in where it can hydrate and soothe.
- Pressed from the kernel of the apricot fruit, prunus armeniaca kernel oil helps to hydrate the skin without blocking the pores or upsetting the natural oil balance of the skin. It acts as an occlusive by sealing moisture into the skin and forming a protective barrier.
- Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, or simply jojoba seed oil, is pressed from the seed of the jojoba plant. It helps to hydrate the skin by absorbing into the upper layers, without blocking the pores or causing excess oiliness. Jojoba seed oil also helps to promote better skin elasticity and softness.
- A mix of sugar (sucrose) and a fatty acid (stearic acid) derived from shea and cocoa butters, sucrose stearate acts as an emollient in our creamy cleanser. It helps to promote soft, smooth skin and improve the texture of dry skin.
- Sodium stearoyl glutamate is used as an emulsifier in our cream cleanser to help the water based and oil based ingredients mix together so that they don’t separate in the bottle. Derived from plant based fatty acids and amino acids, it also acts as a surfactant to help gently lift dirt, makeup and impurities from the skin.
- Extracted from the dried leaves of the aloe vera plant, we added aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder to our cream cleanser due to its skin calming properties. Known to help reduce inflammation, itching and dryness, it’s ideal for helping the skin to retain moisture and for soothing redness and inflammation.
- Calendula officinalis flower extract is derived from the marigold flower and we’ve added it to our cream cleanser as it helps to soothe irritated and inflamed skin.
- Derived from coconut oil and fruit sugars coco-glucoside is a type of surfactant and helps our cream cleanser gently lift dirt, makeup and impurities from the skin.
- Like cetearyl alcohol, coconut alcohol is a type of fatty alcohol that helps with the creamy texture of our cleanser and prevents the ingredients from splitting. It also helps to moisturise the skin by supporting the beneficial lipids (fats) within the skin.
- The scientific name for vitamin E, tocopherol is a type of antioxidant vitamin. Antioxidants support the skin by neutralising harmful molecules called free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress which in turn can damage the skin cells and lead to inflamed and irritated skin.
- Produced via a bacterial fermentation process, xanthan gum is a natural thickening agent used to make our cream cleanser thick, creamy and easy to apply.
- Benzyl alcohol is derived from certain essential oils such as jasmine and ylang ylang. It’s used in our cleanser as a safe preservative (and alternative to parabens) to make it stable on your bathroom shelf for longer. Without it, our products wouldn’t last more than a few days outside of the fridge.
- Lactic acid is a type of alpha hydroxy acid or AHA, derived from sugar beet. It acts as a gentle exfoliant that polishes off the upper layers of skin to reveal the fresh, smooth skin underneath. It’s ideal for acne prone skin as it helps to clear the pores of unwanted debris. In our cleanser, it’s present in a low concentration and is safe to be used every day.
- Dehydroacetic acid is a white powder that’s synthetically made and is used in our cleanser as a preservative. It helps to prevent the growth of fungi and other microorganisms that can cause skin care products to spoil.
- More commonly known as lavender oil, lavandula angustifolia flower oil is used to add a delicate fragrance to our creamy cleanser.
- Anthemis nobilis flower oil is more commonly known as chamomile essential oil and is used in our cream cleanser for its delicate fragrance. It also helps to soothe stressed out, irritated and inflamed skin.
- Derived from the oil from the peel of mandarins, citrus nobilis peel oil is rich in limonene which is used to enhance the fragrance of our cream cleanser. It’s also rich in skin calming antioxidants.
- Extracted from geranium oil, geraniol is used to add a delicate floral fragrance to our creamy cleanser.
- Limonene is naturally found in lemon oil and other citrus fruit oils and plants from the mint and pine family of trees. We’ve added it to enhance the delicate fragrance of our creamcleanser, and also for its antioxidant benefits to inflamed skin.
- Derived from natural plant based sources, linalool is added for its delicate floral fragrance. Linalool is found in many essential oils including lemon, tangerine, rose and ylang ylang and a variety of plants including mint, thyme, laurel trees and rosewoods.
Choosing the Right Cream Cleanser
No matter your skin type, our cream cleanser will benefit your skin. Developed using our science based alkaline methodology, it’s been designed to deeply nourish and hydrate the skin, and we know you’ll love it, so give it a try today!